Friday, October 1, 2010

Pompidou & Chez Georges






Ahhhh modern things. This building looks completely awkward, nestled in the middle of Old Paris in the Marais neighborhood. Yet its striking, its bold, love it or hate it, Centre Georges Pompidou is there.

Pompidou is the home to the Library of Public Information and The National Museum of Modern Art, the biggest of its kind in Europe. Each French President builds something to commemorate himself, and this one was created by the President of France from 1969-1974, Georges Pompidou.

I have spent a few times by myself strolling around the museum. Although I appreciate modern art more so than the classics, I still don't understand it nonetheless! The museum does not choke me, thanks to its wide open spaces. The art is fresh, it is sexual, it is interesting, and some I'd say even disturbing. If you feel that women should be covered from head to face to toe and her sole reason for living is to be subservient to her husband, I doubt you will appreciate this museum.

From the top floor of the center, you can see a beautiful panoramic view of Paris. You will also find the trendy fusion restaurant, Chez Georges. J and I often bring friends here not so much for the food, but for the view. After a few times being disappointed with the food and money we end up forking out, I suggest you come up here for the view and nothing else!

Looking out the window, I can't help but think of little Ratatouille, going around Paris, little mouse trying to be a chef and all... Its quaint, and it makes you realize that no matter how the Parisians are, you will admit that it is the most beautiful city in the world...

Metro: Rambuteau
Photos by me, Second by AG

No comments:

Post a Comment